About Us

Since its founding back in 1926, the First German Sport Club Phoenix has been dedicated to the promotion of Pennsylvania’s most precious treasure — our children.

The History Of The Phoenix

While helping Pennsylvania’s youth reach their full athletic potential, the First German Sport Club Phoenix has provided a safe and enjoyable environment for its members and their children to have and experience fun and enduring memories.

Not only do we offer opportunities for people of all ages to participate in athletics but the club has grown its club by hosting various events. The club hosts numerous banquets, weddings, graduations and all types of various parties as well as company picnics in the picnic grove and swimming pool.

In the early 1920′s, a group of German immigrants formed the first German-American Soccer Club. After a short while of existence, a disagreement arose within the organization and some of the officers and members severed their ties with the organization to start a club of their own. A meeting was held in early 1926 at Carl Locher’s home and a decision was made to form a new club and adopted its colors as red and white.

Phoenix Swim Club

The Phoenix Sport Club Has A Rich History And A Bright Future.

We are very proud of the many people who have made it possible for Phoenix to succeed.

On April 9, 1926 at a foundation meeting that was held at the West Philadelphia Maennerchorhalle, The First German Sport Club Phoenix was officially formed. The ten original founders of The Phoenix Club were: Carl Locher, Paul Neumann, Adolf Locher, Erich Maier, William Roehl, Joseph Bauer, Kurt Klauss, August Seyter, Eugen Arnold, and Max Klauss. The club’s first Board of Directors was elected at this meeting and consisted of the following members: President – Paul Neumann, Vice President – Kurt Klauss, Secretary – Erich Maier, Treasurer – Adolf Locher, Sports Director – Carl Locher.
In the early thirties, three members Otto Fauser, Robert Boyan, and Albert Ebert were attempting to find a new clubhouse to serve as a home for our members. On April 6, 1933, Phoenix moved from their old location, The Liedertafel Saengerbundhalie on 6th Street and Erie Avenue, to a new home on 3808 N. Broad Street in Philadelphia.

Phoenix Swim Club Banquet

In the 1930′s, Phoenix had some of the best soccer teams in Pennsylvania.The most successful seasons were 1931, 1933 and 1934 when we won the Championship of the German-Pennsylvania Cup League. Handball and gymnastics were added during this time and many members participated in these ports and brought more trophies to Phoenix.

Due to expansion and related housing problems in Philadelphia, we lost our soccer field and the teams had to continually move from one field to another. In 1938, the problem was solved when Phoenix purchased 38 acres of land in Feasterville, PA. It was a bold move at the time but it paid off for all our membes and started a new era of friendship, happiness and comeraderie.

In 1939, Phoenix joined the new Philadelphia Soccer League and in 1940-41 won the championship. During WWII, it was difficult to field good teams due to increasing costs and the fact that many young Phoenix men were serving in the war. The years after the war continued to present a bleak picture until German immigration was again allowed. The young immigrants brought new life to the club and especially the sports programs. One of the oldest sports in the club is “Faustball.” This game has been played at Phoenix for over 60 years. Since the founding of the Eastern Fistball League, three tournaments are held annually and Phoenix continues to win trophies in the men’s, women’s and youth divisions.

During the 1950′s, the club continued to grow and prosper under very strong leadership from our president’s and their boards. Many Members good times were spent in the old clubhouse and in the summertime at the original swimming pool. It was also in the 60′s that all the trees that make up the woods behind the swim club were planted and as a result, we still enjoy the fruits of their labor today.

It was during the “Soaring Sixties” that Phoenix came of age. This was the decade that our club underwent the greatest growth and change. Al Playford was President from 1960-1965 and during his tenure the Phoenix Swim Club became a reality and opened in 1964. Today, the Swim Club is thriving and an important benefit to our club and provides tremendous enjoyment to our members.

In 1965 Honorary President, Willie Robatzek, again became President. Willie recognized that our old clubhouse was no longer adequate for the needs of our members if we were to continue to grow. Through Willie’s leadership and the relentless effort of Kurt Jasch, our new expanded clubhouse opened in 1967. The greatest expansion in our history to date. In 1968 Edward Randel became President. His efforts were to substantially increase membership, institute a business system for club operations and to consolidate the members into a harmonious unit. Under Ed’s leadership, membership more than doubled. The demands of increased membership plus the expanded facilities required a professional steward system.

This was instituted and proved to be successful. Most notable was the starting of our Youth Soccer Program. The effort and determination of Klaus Gessat provided the spark that started a program that had continued growth and success to 1990. In 1970 Kurt Jasch again became President. Under Kurt’s leadership and help from the board, the club prospered both socially and financially. Most notable of his accomplishements was the development of the largest membership of 1,300 in 1974 as well as the creation of the Summer Festival in 1973.

Karl Kahlefled became President in 1974 and directed his energies to improving our club in all areas of activity. Among his accomplishments was the planning and construction of a much needed second soccer field for use by our growing soccer and fistball programs. Re-elected again in 1976, Karl Jasch devoted his time and enery to the club he loved so much. During the late 70′s, Phoenix was a strong club with successful sports programs that included swimming and diving teams, fistball, major and reserve soccer teams and one of the best youth soccer programs in the area.

In 1982, Julius A. Boess was elected President and the club continued to do well. Club membership was strong and there were numerous activities available for all club members to participate. Our annual Summerfest was expanded to 3 days and they were the biggest and most successful to date. Carola Dilweksi was our club’s first Steuben Parade’s Cornflower Queen and Julius received the Steuben Day Associations’s Cross of Honor.

The parking lot was finally paved and the Wein Stube and outside bar were built. Meetings started with the Swim Club for the eventual turnover of the swim operation as the original 20 year lease was coming to an end. Our youth soccer program had over 200 players proudly wearing red and white on the area soccer fields.

In 1984 Peter Hansen became President and the club did its first major renovations to the clubhouse since the 90′s. A new second floor was added and the bar was expanded into a game room with seating area and office. The swim operation was now under club’s responsibility and very successful with over 200 families.

In 1988, Kurt Jasch was re-elected as President. It was Kurt’s fourth time as president and he has served the most years (15) than any president in club history.

In 1992, Michael J. Boess was elected as President and for the first time a father and son have served as president of the club. This was probably the worst time in our seventy year history with major financial, membership and morale problems. Changes were needed and started with the formation of a Board of Governors to act in an advisory capacity to the club.

Michael hired a manager instead of the traditional stewardship which has worked very well. He also initiated the much needed interior renovations of the dining room, bar and a new roof over the kitchen. In addition, Michael has promoted new activities and affairs to attract new and current member participation. First Friday Happy Hours, Las Vegas Night and the Haunted Hayrides have proved to be club favorites and captivated the interest of our younger members.

The club has expanded to 6 Billiard teams and every one of the teams has won a championship. We had the honor of having one of the teams compete in the National Finals in Las Vegas in 2000.

In 2003, the Men’s Majors soccer team won the U.S. State Amateur Cup of Pennsylvania and advanced to the National Regional Finals, bringing additional excitement and exposure to the club.

In 2004, Michael J. Boess continues as President and many of the activities that he was instrumental in starting have been very successful for the club. The club has become the home of “The Haunted Hayride” for 18 nights every October. This event has helped the residents of Bucks County become familiar with our club and grounds for their enjoyment.

Improvements continue to be made withe the addition of the bar deck and a major renovation of the bar area. We also entered a long-term contract with a cellular tower company that would benefit the club for years to come. Our club continues to be successful in the banquet and catering business due to the wonderful and caring staff of dedicated members. The Ladies Auxilary have stayed as a large part and strong supporter of the club.

Phoenix has truly been a “Sports Club” with soccer, fistball, handball, gymnastics, bowling, billiards and swimming being a part of our long history. We are very proud of the many people who have made it possible for Phoenix to celebrate 78 years of experience of success. To all our members and their families, past and present, we offer sincere thanks and we look forward to a promising future.